"Young and Beautiful" (also registered as "Will You Still Love Me") is a song by Lana Del Rey featured on the soundtrack of the movie The Great Gatsby. It was released as a single on April 23, 2013.
The song was written and recorded some time in 2012 by Lana Del Rey and Rick Nowels. It was intended for use on Paradise, the re-release of Born to Die. On June 19, 2012, Lana Del Rey sung an acapella of the chorus on radio when asked what music would be on her new album. The song failed to make the final tracklist of Paradise. The song is registered on ASCAP as "Will You Still Love Me" and "Young and Beautiful" and on ISWC as "Will You Still Love Me". An alternate orchestral version titled "Young and Beautiful (DH Orchestral Version)" produced by Dan Heath was released alongside the Rick Nowels version of the single. A demo of the song leaked on June 9, 2013 and the acapella of the demo leaked on July 2, 2016.
The song is composed in the key of B minor. Del Rey's dreamy vocals, ranging from D3 to A4, are draped over sedated strings and canned percussion. The lyrics rotate around the themes of pleasing a lover, nostalgia, and the gloom of aging.
In The Great Gatsby
On November 24, 2012, Del Rey teased at being featured on a soundtrack during an interview on the Dutch show Langs De Leeuw, explaining "one thing that I have been doing [...] is helping composers write scores for movies." She went on to say "there's a movie coming out this summer that's set in the 1920s, and it's been fun for me to write love songs for the woman." On February 7, 2013, Del Rey tweeted "GATSBY" [sic], confirming fans' suspicions. On April 4, 2013, the first studio snippet of the song was released in a trailer for the film, with media outlets confirming the song to be released as a single on April 23, 2013. The song was available to buy in Australia on April 21, and was unofficially released onto the internet shortly afterwards.
The song was met with widespread acclaim from critics. Hip hop magazine Rap-Up called the single "haunting", while MTV called it "somber-sounding". Jason Lipshutz of Billboard called the ballad, "typically lush", paralleling the single with Del Rey's previous hits, "Video Games" and "Born to Die". Canadian journal National Post said "Young and Beautiful" picks up where "Video Games" left off, stating the song was relevant to the book because of "...its obsession with decay and the fleeting nature of the good life certainly resonate." The journal continued to call it an "artifact" of Del Rey's consistently dark tone, adding that by the second play-through "its bald directness becomes its appeal." MTV commented that the track "falls very much in-line with what Lana Del Rey's fans have come to expect" from Del Rey. Jeff Benjamin of Fuse said the track featured "a big, sweeping ballad with piano, violins and Lana's warbly delivery." He added that "if the single takes off, perhaps the songbird can finally scrub her image clean of that 'Girl that totally f-cked [sic] up her Saturday Night Live debut' tag." Rolling Stone 's Jody Rosen recognized "Young and Beautiful" as the album's centerpiece, calling it "inert" and "a drag" despite its symmetry with the album's entire theme. Finding the track restrained in comparison to her earlier work, August Brown, writing for The Los Angeles Times, called the single "clean" and "classy". "Young and Beautiful" was given a positive review by Stereogum 's Tom Breihan, although he disapproved of the vapidity of the line: "make me wanna party".
The song was nominated for Best Song Written for Visual Media at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||57|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||34|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||33|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||45|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||50|
|Greece Digital Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||9|
|Israel (Media Forest)||7|
|Lebanon (The Official Lebanese Top 20)||16|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||79|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||23|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Top 100)||12|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||21|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||53|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||31|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||23|
|US Billboard Hot 100||22|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Heatseeker Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||46|
|Australia (ARIA)||4× Platinum||280,000^|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
xunspecified figures based on certification alone
- Single version (3:56)
- Dan Heath Orchestral version (3:52)
- Bryan Ferry's "Young and Beautiful (Salon)" Jazz Instrumental version (2:30)
- Demo version (3:56)
- Jazz version (Unknown)
- Two Minutes To Four And Reunited (3:48)
- Magic Tree And I Let Myself Go (5:17)
- Hotel Sayre (3:22)
- Acapella version (3:48)
The Orchestral Score From Baz Luhrmann's Film The Great Gatsby
Craig Armstrong's The Orchestral Score From Baz Luhrmann's Film The Great Gatsby features three orchestral scores that sample "Young and Beautiful". The album was released on January 1, 2013 and the tracks 4, 6, and 11 feature Del Rey. Two of them sample lyrics too.
|4.||"Hotel Sayre"||Craig Armstrong||Armstrong||3:22|
|6.||"Two Minutes to Four and Reunited"||Armstrong||Armstrong||3:48|
|11.||"Magic Tree and I Let Myself Go"||Lana Del Rey, Walter De Backer, Rick Nowels, Armstrong||Armstrong||5:17|
|Released||May 10, 2013|
|Producer||Adam Smith and Jacob Swan-Hyam|
|Filmed||April 26, 2013|
|VEVO views||225+ Million views|
The official music video to the song was released on the 10th of May 2013. She is shown singing the song in a dark room with glittery diamond-tears on her cheek which look like tattoos.
Photoshoot by Sophie Muller (April 26, 2013)
Photoshoot by Matthew Walder (March, 2013)
- The phrase "like a child" also appears in "American".
- Many of the lyrics directly reference "Bel Air".
- The phrase "electric soul" is reminiscent of "Body Electric".
- The line "Had my cake, now" anaphorically references to the line "I want my cake and I wanna eat it too" in "Lolita ".
- The phrase "new age" is also in "National Anthem".
- The line "Will you still love me, when i'm no longer, young and beautiful?" is similar to "Will you still love me when I shine, from words but not from beauty?" from "Old Money".
- ASCAP ACE Title Search #884356337
- ↑ http://www.rap-up.com/2013/04/04/jay-z-calls-on-beyonce-andre-3000-fergie-lana-del-rey-for-great-gatsby-soundtrack/
- ↑ http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1704988/great-gatsby-soundtrack-jay-z-beyonce-lana-del-rey.jhtml
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/1559084/lana-del-reys-great-gatsby-track-young-beautiful-hits-the-web
- ↑ http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/04/22/first-impressions-lana-del-rey-young-beautiful/
- ↑ http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/04/22/first-impressions-lana-del-rey-young-beautiful/
- ↑ http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2013/04/22/lana-del-rey-young-and-beautiful-from-great-gatsby-soundtrack-online/
- ↑ http://www.fuse.tv/2013/04/lana-del-rey-young-beautiful-great-gatsby
- ↑ http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/the-great-gatsby-music-from-baz-luhrmann-s-film-20130503
- ↑ http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/10/entertainment/la-et-ms-lana-del-rey-video-gatsby-young-and-beautiful-20130510
- ↑ http://www.stereogum.com/1327672/lana-del-rey-young-beautiful/mp3s/
- ↑ http://www.australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.ultratop.be/fr/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/306420/Lana+Del+Rey/chart?f=793
- ↑ http://www.lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.de/song.asp?artist=Lana+del+Rey&title=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s&country=de
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/biz/charts/2013-06-01/greece
- ↑ http://zene.slagerlistak.hu/single-track-top-40-lista/2014/1
- ↑ http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p%2Fmusicvideo%2Fmusic%2Farchive%2Findex_test.jsp&ct=240001&arch=t&lyr=2013&year=2013&week=21
- ↑ http://www.mediaforest.biz/WeeklyCharts/HistoryWeeklyCharts.aspx?year=2013&week=20
- ↑ http://www.italiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.olt20.com/Lana_Del_Rey#fragment-2&panel1-5
- ↑ http://www.dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://bestsellery.zpav.pl/airplays/top/archiwum.php?year=2013&idlisty=1107#title
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/22/2013-06-01/
- ↑ http://www.ifpicr.cz/hitparadask/index.php?hitp=R
- ↑ http://www.spanishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.swisscharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Young+and+Beautiful&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/2013-06-01/
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/306420/Lana+Del+Rey/chart?f=379
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/306420/lana+del+rey/chart?f=902
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/306420/Lana+Del+Rey/chart?f=359
- ↑ http://www.aria.com.au/pages/httpwww.aria.com.aupagesaria-charts-accreditations-singles-2014.htm
- ↑ http://musiccanada.com/gold-platinum/?fwp_gp_search=%22Young+and+Beautiful%22%20%22Lana+Del+Rey%22
- ↑ http://www.fimi.it/certificazioni/
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20140221223621/http://nztop40.co.nz/chart/singles
- ↑ http://www.bpi.co.uk/certified-awards/search.aspx
- ↑ http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist=%22Young+and+Beautiful%22