Del Rey uploaded the song to her defunct SoundCloud profile on March 22, 2010, alongside other songs "On Our Way", "Hundred Dollar Bill", "Velvet Crowbar", "Us Against the World" and "Kinda Outta Luck".
The song received many positive reviews amid her rise with "Video Games" during the summer of 2011. It is registered on ASCAP and ISWC. Three vocal stems are available: one from the chorus and two from the song's intro. The studio a cappella version leaked on January 29, 2017.
Del Rey performed the song live several times during her concerts in 2011. On May 7, 2015, Del Rey also performed the song on the opening day of the Endless Summer Tour in The Woodlands, Texas, alongside other unreleased songs, "Serial Killer" and "Us Against the World".
- The phrase "I like you a lot" is also used in "Music to Watch Boys To" and "Breaking My Heart".
- Del Rey mentions a white Corvette in "All Smiles" and "Hawaiian Tropic".
Music video Edit
|Director||Lana Del Rey|
Background and description Edit
During 2010, Del Rey created a homemade music video for the song. Like most of her old music videos, it features clips of Del Rey herself singing along to the song and clips she gathered from miscellaneous films and videos. Footage of Del Rey in this video is mostly shot in black and white or muted colors. Unofficial uploads of the video exist online.
Official versions Edit
- Studio version — 3:04
- A cappella version — 3:13
- ↑ Lanadelrey. (2010) Lana Del Rey on SoundCloud. Wayback Machine. [Access Date: September 22, 2017]
- ↑ Ldr Fansite. (2015) "Lana Del Rey rehearsing "You Can Be The Boss" for the Endless Summer Tour". YouTube. [Access Date: June 10, 2017]
- ↑ Williams, Dane. (2015) "Warming up for the #EndlessSummerTour @lanadelrey @blake_lee @mrbironic". Instagram. [Access date May 7, 2015]
- ↑ Lana Del Rey News (@QualityLana). ""Us Against The World" soundcheck in Texas! #EndlessSummerTour" May 7, 2015. Twitter. [Access Date: May 7, 2015]