"Trash Magic" (also referred to as "Trash", "Miss America" or "Trash Sugar Magic") is an unreleased song by Lana Del Rey. It was recorded in 2007 and produced by Steven Mertens. The song is not registered on BMI, ASCAP, or any other service.
The first known appearance of the song was on January 18, 2008 on her MySpace account, under the title "Miss America". A video of Del Rey singing the song live during her CMJ concert was uploaded during late 2008 under the title "Trash". Later, during 2008 and 2009, several gig reviews referred to the song as "Trash Magic". In 2011, Del Rey posted a comment on a YouTube video of the song regarding the title and its background.
"God. I forgot that. I don't know if i changed the name- i think i called it Trash Magic in my notebook, but also miss america. I was staying at the sunset motel in new jersey off and on every other couple of weeks. I decorated it with tinsel from the duane reade up the street and wrote this song.. It still makes me happy."
The song leaked on December 15, 2011 and a demo leaked on June 18, 2012. The demo features entirely different verses with the same chorus. The original leaked file labeled "Demos 11-21-07" suggests the song was recorded on November 21, 2007. It also had Mertens in tagged, suggesting that he is the producer. On June 22, 2012, an audio edit was posted to SoundCloud under the fan-made title "The Man I Love". This edit removed the "Trash Magic" chorus from the demo and rearranged the verses significantly.
- Final version — 4:52
- Demo version — 3:06
- References to "Miss America" can be found in "Driving in Cars with Boys" and "Mermaid Motel".
- The song directly refers to a conversation with Bill.
- Pink flamingos are also mentioned in "Music to Watch Boys To" and "Methamphetamines".
- "How do you spend your nights?" is a similar lyric to "made me wonder how you spend them nights" from "Queen of the Gas Station".
- Marilyn Monroe and Jesus are also mentioned together in "Body Electric".
- Lana referring to doing her "hair up, how high I like" is similar to "Dance for Money" where she sings about how she will "wear my hair up". She also references doing her "hair up real big, beauty queen style" in "Summertime Sadness".
- Palms (trees, "palm parade") are mentioned in "Methamphetamines", "Freak", "Jump", and "Bel Air".
- Christmas is mentioned in "Smarty", "Strangelove", "Be My Daddy" and "Pin Up Galore".
- References to swimming pools are found in "Off to the Races", "Moi Je Joue", "This Is What Makes Us Girls", and "Push Me Down".
- Motels are found in many Lana songs including "Motel 6", "Push Me Down", "1949", and "Kinda Outta Luck".
- Lana Del Rey replying to a YouTube comment explaining the title of Trash Magic (Retrieved March 3, 2013)