|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
"Terrence Loves You" is a song by Lana Del Rey and co-written by Rick Nowels that is featured as the third track on Del Rey's third major-label full-length album Honeymoon. The song was officially released worldwide on August 21, 2015, as the first promotional single from the record.
Background and releaseEdit
The title of the track was shared by Del Rey on August 18, 2015 in response to paparazzi asking about her favorite song off the album. Del Rey replied "Terrence Loves You" and when asked why she explained, "it's jazzy".
Del Rey also stated that this track and "God Knows I Tried" are very close to her heart.
The song was officially released worldwide on August 21, 2015 as the first promotional single from Honeymoon, the same day that the album went up for pre-order. The official single cover surfaced on Shazam on the 20th of August.
Critical reception Edit
The song was critically acclaimed by Rolling Stone who called it "hypnotic" and praised Del Rey's vocal performance.
Live performances Edit
Del Rey has only performed the song live once, on September 15, 2015 at Maida Vale Studios in London, United Kingdom, for a live BBC Radio 1 session and interview. The session was aired on September 22.
- "Ground control to Major Tom" and "Can you hear me?" are references to artist David Bowie.
- "Put the radio on" is a reference to the song of the same name and "Radio".
- "Jazz" is also a topic in "Brooklyn Baby", which refers to the Beat Generation, and Del Rey refers to herself as a "jazz singer" in "Ultraviolence".
- "Can you hear me?" is a lyric also used in "Without You" and one that is partially referenced in "Hollywood".
- "Hollywood" is referenced in multiple songs, such as "Hollywood's Dead" and "Hollywood", and these "legends" could include people like "Marilyn Monroe".
- Having the "blues" is also mentioned in the title of "Pawn Shop Blues".
Official versions Edit
- Album version – 4:50
- Instrumental version – 4:52
- Lana Del Rey – vocals, songwriting, production
- Rick Nowels – songwriting, production, piano, synth
- Kieron Menzies – production, effects, engineering, recording, mixing
- Patrick Warren – orchestration, strings, kantele
- Curt Bisquera – live drums
- Leon Michels – saxophone, synth pad
- Trevor Yasuda & Chris Garcia – engineering
- Adam Ayan – mastering
|Chart (2015)|| Peak|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||188|
- ↑ Caldwell, Kayla. (2015). Lana Del Rey Arrives at LAX Sporting a Wide Grin as Her New Single High By the Beach Continues to Climb the Charts. Mail Online. [Access date: August 19, 2015] <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3203040/Lana-Del-Rey-arrives-LAX-sporting-wide-grin-new-single-High-Beach-continues-climb-charts.html#v-4431039987001>. (Video).
- ↑ http://www.lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Terrence+Loves+You&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.zobbel.de/cluk/150829cluk.txt