"Religion" is a song written by Lana Del Rey and Rick Nowels that is featured as the ninth track on Del Rey's third major-label full-length album Honeymoon, which was officially released worldwide on September 18, 2015.
Composition and critical reception Edit
"Religion" is a romantic love ballad performed at approximately 136 beats per minute with a total run time of 5 minutes and 23 seconds. Lyrically, Del Rey toys with comparing a loved one to her religion. In an album review of Honeymoon, Amy Davidson of Digital Sky noted that "Religion" felt like one of Del Rey's more optimistic love songs, pointing out the line 'everything it bright now', but it was "still tinged with the singer's favourite kind of noirish self-destruction".
- Del Rey sings "Hallelujah" prominently in "Money Power Glory".
- Resting dogs are also mentioned in "24".
- 'Lay Lady Lay' is also featured in "Tomorrow Never Came".
Official versions Edit
- Album version – 5:23
- Instrumental version – 5:26
- Lana Del Rey – vocals, songwriting, production
- Rick Nowels – songwriting, production, mellotron guitar, synth, pads, bass
- Kieron Menzies – production, mixing, recording, engineering, drums, loops
- Patrick Waren – orchestrations, strings, electric piano
- David Levita – acoustic guitar, electric guitar
- Trevor Yasuda – engineering, additional effects, additional recording
- Chris Garcia – engineering, additional recording
- Adam Ayan – mastering