"Radio" (also known as "Cinnamon") is a song by Lana Del Rey that is featured on her debut major-label studio album, Born to Die. It was written by Del Rey and Justin Parker, who also produced the song alongside Emile Haynie. A demo version of the song leaked online on June 7, 2012, along with several other of the Born to Die demos. The demo was produced by Parker.
When talking about the song in a 2012 interview, Del Rey stated: "People always said 'oh well people will come out of the woodwork and change their mind about you, they'll start to like you because you're on the radio' and it is true, but I don't mind, cause I'd rather have people be nice to me, so I liked it. I don't really care why people are nice to me, I just like it when it's easier".
Del Rey went on to explain when she wrote "Radio" by stating that she wrote it when a guy she used to know came back into her life, "so I was like now my life is sweet like cinnamon, cause he came back".
- The "American dream" is also referenced in "Damn You", "Without You" and many other songs.
- "Cinnamon" is also referred to in "Summer of Sam".
- The lyric "sing it to me" is also used in "Beautiful Player".
- The lyric "How do you like me now?" is also used in "Get Drunk".
Live performances Edit
Del Rey began performing the song live on the 2011 leg of the Born to Die Tour, to preview the song before the song was officially released. The song has since been included on the setlist for the 2012 leg of the Born to Die Tour and the 2014 leg of the Paradise Tour.
Official versions Edit
- Album version — 3:34
- Demo version — 3:31
- Instrumental version — 3:33
- Clean version — 3:34
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting
- Justin Parker — songwriting, additional production
- Emile Haynie — production, keyboards, guitar, drums
- Larry Gold — strings arrangement and conduction
- Steve Tirpak — strings assistance
- Dan Grech-Marguerat — mixing
- Duncan Fuller — mixing assistance
- John Davis — mastering
- Published by EMI / Sony ATV (ASCAP)
- Mixed at Miloco's Engine Room, London, United Kingdom
- Mastered at Metropolis Mastering, London, United Kingdom