|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
"Music to Watch Boys To" (stylized as "Music to Watch Boys to") is a song by Lana Del Rey that is featured as the second track on Del Rey's third major-label full-length album Honeymoon. The song was officially released worldwide as the second single from the record on September 11, 2015.
Background and writingEdit
Del Rey first mentioned the song as a potential title for the whole album in late June, 2014. On January 2, 2015, Del Rey opened up a little more on the song, elaborating on how she wrote it in a visual, noirish way saying "the title [of the song] lends itself to a visual of shadows of men passing by, this girl's eyes, her face. I can definitely see things."
On June 4, 2015, model Jake Mast tweeted that the music video he had filmed with Del Rey earlier in the year was for the track and would be released in June, however, by the end of the month, no video had been released. On August 31, 2015, Del Rey posted a photo depicting the behind-the-scenes of the music video for the track on Instagram. A snippet of the song was featured alongside excerpts from "Terrence Loves You", "Freak" and "High By the Beach" in an album sampler released September 8, 2015.
On September 9, 2015, Del Rey posted the official single cover on social media sites along with an announcement that the track would premier later that day on Beats 1 Radio. On September 11, 2015, the single's official audio was uploaded to Del Rey's VEVO YouTube channel, and the song was also released on iTunes.
On September 30, 2015, the official music video for the song was uploaded to Del Rey's VEVO YouTube channel.
- "Blue Ribbons on ice" is referenced in "This Is What Makes Us Girls".
- Velvet is referenced in other songs such as "Blue Velvet".
- Pink flamingos are also mentioned in "Trash Magic" and "Methamphetamines".
- "Nothing gold can stay, like love or lemonade" is a reference to "crying tears of gold like lemonade" from "Ultraviolence".
- "Nothing gold can stay" refers to the poem of the same title written in 1923 by Robert Frost.
Music video Edit
|Released||September 30, 2015|
|Vevo views||30+ Million views|
The music video for "Music to Watch Boys To" was shot near Hollywood, California. It was filmed during April, 2015. It was officially released on Del Rey's VEVO channel on September 30, 2015, after Del Rey had teased photos promoting the video on social media during previous weeks.
The video features Del Rey lounging in a lawn chair while men play basketball on an empty court, and a group of young girls in dresses swimming together underwater. Scenes of Del Rey wearing glitter and wearing a black dress are intercut in between the footage of the basketball players. The video ends with Del Rey and the young girls holding hands and jumping together in a line.
Photoshoot by Chuck Grant Edit
Behind the scenes Edit
Official versions Edit
- Album version – 4:50
- Instrumental version – 4:37
- Music video version – 4:54
- Lana Del Rey – vocals, songwriting, production
- Rick Nowels – songwriting, production, piano, synth, pads, electric guitar
- Kieron Menzies – production, drums, percussion, samples, recording, mixing, engineering
- Patrick Warren – orchestrations, strings, flute, clarinet, oboe, basson
- Curt Bisquera – live drums
- Brian Griffin – conga
- Roger Joseph Manning Jr. – bass, omnichord
- Leon Michels – flute
- Trevor Yasuda – additional effects, engineering
- Chris Garcia – engineering
- Adam Ayan – mastering
|Chart (2015)|| Peak|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||186|
- ↑ Lananow (2014) Audio clip of Del Rey talking about third album for the first time. Soundcloud. [Access date December 17, 2014]
- ↑ Ali, Lorraine. 2015 Lana Del Rey talks about her Globe-nominated 'Big Eyes' title track. LA Times. [Access date January 6, 2015]
- ↑ Mast, Jake (@jake__mast). "Lana del Rey music video titled "Music To Watch Boys To" coming out verry soon this month!! Check us out! #lanadelrey" June 4, 2015. Twitter. Access date: [June 4, 2015]
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/7D4VTVTAedFZYWY3RswhHG5iFfmqbPD-fmDJY0/?taken-by=honeymoon
- ↑ http://www.lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Music+to+Watch+Boys+To&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/2015-09-25/