"Groupie Love" is a song by Lana Del Rey featuring ASAP Rocky. It was co-written with Rocky and Rick Nowels and co-produced with Nowels, Kieron Menzies, Hector Delgado and Dean Reid. The song is featured on her fifth studio album and fourth major-label studio album, Lust for Life. It was released as the album's fourth single on July 12, 2017, alongside "Summer Bummer".
Background and writing Edit
On July 8, a snippet of the song surfaced online, and after speculation from fans that the song would be released a single, Del Rey revealed that it would be released on July 12, 2017, along with "Summer Bummer", which also features ASAP Rocky.
On July 12, 2017, Zane Lowe premiered both "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love" on Beats 1 Radio. Lust for Life was simultaneously put up for pre-order. The song impacted contemporary hit radio in Italy on July 28, 2017.
In an interview with BBC Radio 1 on July 12, 2017, Del Rey stated that "Groupie Love" was the first collaboration that her and ASAP Rocky did together for the album and that she had sent him about four songs that she wanted him to contribute to. Del Rey posted the unofficial promotional single artwork through her Twitter where she credits ASAP Rocky as "Flacko".
Critical reception and compositionEdit
"Groupie Love" is a slow paced track with trap beats that lyrically explores the topic of having a romantic relationship with a musician. The song is performed in the key of A major at approximately 176 beats per minute and lasts 4 minutes and 24 seconds, although an alternate mix of the song is registered on PPL Repertoire and lasts 4 minutes and 45 seconds, but this version remains unreleased.
ASAP Rocky's vocal contributions to the track received mixed reactions from critics. Dan Weiss of Consequence of Sound criticized ASAP Rocky's contribution to the track, saying that "it adds nothing to the latter", while in contrast, Masdison Zehmer of Old Gold & Black stated that his contributions on "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love" enhanced the tracks in style.
- "You and I 'til the day we die" is a similar lyric to "cause you and I, we were born to die" from "Born to Die".
- A love story with a rockstar is also referenced in "Is It Wrong", "Match Made in Heaven", "Big Bad Wolf", "Architecture" and "White Mustang", among others.
- Del Rey also says "groupie" in "Gods & Monsters" and "West Coast".
Official versions Edit
- Album version — 4:24
- Alternate mix — 4:45
- Instrumental version — 4:28
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting, production
- ASAP Rocky — vocals, songwriting
- Rick Nowels — songwriting, production, mellotron, piano, synthesizer, synthesizer program, vibraphone
- Hector Delgado — production, engineering, keyboard, bass guitar, drums, percussion, synthesizer
- Kieron Menzies — production, engineering, keyboard, drums, mixing, percussion, synthesizer
- Dean Reid — production, engineering, bass guitar, vocoder, mixing, sound effects
- Trevor Yasuda — engineering, keyboard
- Patrick Warren — keyboard, piano, strings
- Zac Rae — keyboard, electric guitar
- David Levita — electric guitar
- Berkay Birecikli — percussion
- Mighty Mike — sound effects
|Chart (2017)|| Peak|
|New Zealand Heatseekers (RMNZ)||8|
- Buy/stream "Groupie Love"
- ↑ Lana Del Rey (July 10, 2017). "2 new tracks w ASAP ROCKY dropping on the 12th...". Facebook.
- ↑ http://radiodate.it/radio-date/lana-del-rey-feat-a-ap-rocky-groupie-love-176618-28-07-2017-radiodate/
- ↑ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p058hzxm?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_radio_1&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=radio_and_music
- ↑ Lana Del Rey (July 12, 2017). "NEW SONG W FLACKO...". Facebook.
- ↑ ISRC: GBUM71702648
- ↑ https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/album-review-lana-del-rey-lust-for-life/
- ↑ http://wfuogb.com/2017/09/lust-for-life-introduces-a-new-del-rey/
- ↑ http://www.snepmusique.com/tops-semaine/top-singles-telecharges/?ye=2017&we=29
- ↑ http://nztop40.co.nz/chart/singles?chart=4381#all_records_extra