"Fucked My Way Up to the Top" (originally titled "Fuck My Way" and also registered as "Fucked My Way Up") is a song by Lana Del Rey written with Dan Heath. It was released on Del Rey's second major-label studio album, Ultraviolence.
A snippet of an early demo featuring different vocals and instrumental leaked on June 25, 2018.
Writing and inspirationEdit
On June 9, 2014, in an interview with Grazia magazine, Del Rey said "It's about a singer who first sneered about my allegedly not authentic style but later she stole and copied it. And now she's acting like I am the art project and she the true super artist. My God and people actually believe her, she's successful! I shouldn't continue ranting, it doesn't get anywhere."
Before the album was out or the track even previewed, music magazine Billboard described the song as "the best song title on Ultraviolence" along with "Guns and Roses", a sentiment shared by Internet publication Pitchfork Media.
Live performances Edit
- Diamonds and pearls are also mentioned in "I Don't Wanna Go" and "Catch and Release". "Diamonds and Pearls" is also a song by Prince featuring Rosie Gaines.
- Curls are mentioned in "Marilyn Monroe", "The Other Woman" and "When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing".
Official versions Edit
- Album version — 3:32
- Instrumental version — 3:29
- Demo version — 3:37
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting
- Dan Heath — songwriting
- Dan Auerbach — production, electric guitar
- Collin Dupuis — engineering
- Robert Orton — mixing
- Kenny Vaughan & Seth Kaufman — electric guitar
- Nick Movshon — electric bass
- Leon Michaels — Mellotron, synthesizers, piano
- Russ Pahl — pedal steel
- Maximilian Weissenfeldt — drums
- Collin Dupuis — drums programming
- John Davis — mastering
- Mixed at Hot Rocks Studios
- Mastered at Metropolis Studios, London
- ↑ HFA Song Code: F6697R