Untitled fifth album is the fifth studio album and fourth major-label record by Lana Del Rey. It is set to be released in 2017.
In December 2015, three months after the release of her third major-label studio album Honeymoon, Del Rey opened up about writing her next record in an interview with NME, saying "I do have early thoughts about what I’d like to do with [the next album]. My label, Interscope, is pretty flexible and open to my records coming out at any time, so I don’t have that pressure. I’m just happy to be able to keep on making music I can stand behind. That’s enough for me."
In January 2017, the song "Love" was registered under the title "Young In Love" to the Harry Fox Agency. The title of the track had been long speculated previous to this due to leaks of information on social media by fans. The track leaked in full on February 17, 2017 before any official announcement had been made regarding the song or the upcoming album by Del Rey or her team. The next day, February 18, it was rush released onto iTunes worldwide. It is confirmed that the album will include guest featured artists and it is set to be released in 2017. About the album, Del Rey stated "I made my first 4 albums for me, but this one is for my fans and about where I hope we are all headed." During a livestream in February 2017 Del Rey described the aesthetic of the album as "retro sensibility with a futuristic flair." The official title, tracklist, and artwork for the record are yet to be announced.
It's expected that Del Rey will work with previous producers Rick Nowels and Emile Haynie, both of who worked on "Love" alongside Benny Blanco. On November 4, 2015, long-time collaborator Justin Parker posted an Instagram photo of himself and Del Rey in a studio together, hinting towards potential involvement in new music. Two songs, "Beautiful People" and "Wild One", written by Del Rey and Parker had been registered earlier in the year.
Sound and writing
On February 15, 2016, Billboard posted a short video interview with Del Rey on the Pre-GRAMMY Gala Red carpet opening up about the new records sound. Del Rey explained, that while the album would be in a different direction to her previous record Honeymoon, "it's kinda in the same aesthetic" and "[the fourth major-label studio album] has more to do with just like... I don't know... a clarity of inner dialogue that I feel is coming through better." On February 24, 2017, during an interview with Jo Whiley from BBC Radio 2, Del Rey opened up more about writing the record and said:
"I've been writing for the last fifteen months and I guess I started out thinking that the whole record was gonna have sort of a 50s/60s feeling, with some kind Shangri-Las and early Joan Baez influences, but I don't know as the climate kept on getting more heated politically, I found lyrically everything was just directed towards that. Because of that the sound just got really updated and I felt like it was more wanting to talk to the younger side of the audience that I have. I guess it's a little more socially aware. It has kind of a global feeling."
Release and promotion
The lead single, "Love" was officially released worldwide on February 18, 2017, and the official music video was released two days afterwards.
The first single serving as the lead single from the record, "Love", was officially released worldwide on February 18, 2017, shortly after being leaked online. The single was met with extremely positive reactions and charted in the top 10 on iTunes in many countries. The official music video was released on February 20.
Since the release of Honeymoon, a demo has leaked and tracks have been registered with Del Rey as a collaborator, and could be featured on the upcoming album, although nothing is confirmed.
Art prints shot by Neil Krug
From the recording studio
- ↑ Horner, Al (2015) "A Letter From Lana Del Rey – The Full NME Cover Interview". NME. [Access date: February 18, 2017]
- ↑ HFA Song Code: YV84J0
- ↑ Wass, Mike. (2017). "2017 Is Looking Up! Lana Del Rey Registers New Song “Young & In Love”". Idolator. [Access date: February 18, 2017]
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MuuMuse/status/833106884567642112
- ↑ Parker, Justin (2015) "'Who me?'" Instagram. [Access date: February 17, 2017]
- ↑ Billboard (2016) "Lana Del Rey: Clive Davis Pre-GRAMMY Gala Red Carpet | 2016". YouTube. [Access date: February 18, 2017]
- ↑ Geoghegan, Kev & Glynn, Paul (2017) "Lana Del Rey on her new single Love and joining forces with Miles Kane". BBC Music. [Access date: February 24, 2017]
- ↑ Frankel, Jillian (2017) "Lana Del Rey Cinematic 'Love' Posters Around L.A. Stir New Album Speculation". Billboard. [Access date: February 18, 2017]
- ↑ Stern, Bradley. (2017). "Lana Del Rey ‘Love’ Promotional Posters Are Popping Up Out of Nowhere". PopCrush. [Access date: February 17, 2017]