"Cola" (alternately registered as "Pussy" and "My Pussy Tastes Like Pepsi Cola") is a song by Lana Del Rey off her third studio EP and third major-label release, Paradise. The track was written by Lana Del Rey and Rick Nowels, who also produced the track. Del Rey stated in an interview that "Cola" was due to serve as the second single from Paradise worldwide, but no release date was set and the release was scrapped.
Del Rey revealed in an interview on November 13, 2012 with KIIS FM Radio that the song would be released as the second single off Paradise, but no further details or release dates were announced since.
"Cola" received polarized reviews. "Fresh" and "is-she-serious?" have been some of the reactions to the lyrics included on "Cola", specifically the line "My pussy tastes like Pepsi-Cola", which sparked controversy. Hindustan Times criticized the song snippet, saying it proved she was running out of ideas and that the song sounded strangely similar to the other album tracks. Robert Copsey of Digital Spy noted that the hooks on "Cola" were polished, but did not compromise Del Rey's bold image. Noticing how the other tracks on Paradise sound rhythmically similar, Slant magazine said: "Cola" is the opposite, pushing Del Rey's pop-art take on signifier-addled femme fatality too far into the realm of cheekiness, but also shattering a persona that already exists inside a hall of mirrors."
- "Cherry pies" are also mentioned in "Betty Boop Boop" among other songs.
- "Harvey's in the sky with diamonds" is a similar lyric to "Lucy's in the sky with ice" from "Television Heaven". They both come from the lyric "Lucy is in the sky with diamonds" which is a song of the Beatles.
- "Pretty baby" is used in many songs, like "Florida Kilos", "For K, Pt. 2", or "Pretty Baby".
- Vanilla ice cream is also mentioned in both "Dynamite" and "Paradise".
Similar to the style of the monologue used in the introduction of the "Ride" music video, a monolgue speech was recorded to the introduction of the "Cola" instrumental and was later used in a promotional video used to accompany the April, 2013 edition of L'Officiel Paris, a French fashion magazine which features Del Rey as "Rosalita", Mexico's movie star queen. The monologue is a reading of Walt Whitman's poem "Song of Myself."
In addition to being used in the video for L'Officiel, it was also believed by fans that the monologue would be featured in a music video for "Cola", but as no official video was ever announced or released.
At many of Del Rey's 2014 performances, an intro would be played before Del Rey performed "Cola". Since "Cola" was the first song to be played at most of her 2014 concerts, the piece served as an introduction to the concert and played before Del Rey walked on stage. It features a similar instrumental to "Cola" and different lyrics. Some fans refer to it as "Cruel World (Intro)" [not to be confused with "Cruel World" (song)].
- Note: these lyrics refer to the version that was played on June 28, 2014, at Glastonbury.
- Strings, Electric guitar, Glockenspiel Piano & Synthesiser — Patrick Warren
- Acoustic guitar, Juno bass & Keyboards — Rick Nowels
- Slide guitar — Tim Pierce
- Drums — Rick Nowels, Devrim Karaoglu
- Drum programming & Recording — Kieron Menzies
- Additional recording — Chris Garcia and Jordan Stilwell
- Mixing — Kieron Menzies
- Mastering engineer — John Davis for Metropolis Mastering (London)
|Chart (2012)|| Peak|
|Ireland (Irish Singles Chart)||99|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||120|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||22|
- ↑ APRA|AMCOS title search lists "My Pussy Tastes Like Pepsi Cola" as an alias of "Cola" (APRA ID: GW43398940)
- ↑ http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/7725851/Lana-Del-Rey-releases-afterthought
- ↑ http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Music/Lana-Del-Rey-floats-latest-album-sampler/Article1-935533.aspx
- ↑ http://www.digitalspy.com/music/albumreviews/a437881/lana-del-rey-paradise-ep-review.html?rss
- ↑ http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/lana-del-rey-paradise/2923
- ↑ http://www.lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lana+Del+Rey&titel=Cola&cat=s
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20121122132947/http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp
- ↑ http://www.zobbel.de/cluk/121124cluk.txt
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/306420/lana+del+rey/chart?f=902