"Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind" is a song by Lana Del Rey. It was co-written with Rick Nowels and co-produced with Nowels, Dean Reid and Kieron Menzies. The song was officially released worldwide as the first promotional single from Del Rey's fifth studio album and fourth major-label studio album, Lust for Life, on May 15, 2017.
Background and writingEdit
The song was first announced on the Arabic streaming service, Anghami, on May 13, 2017 and it was officially released on May 15. Prior to the release, an edited version of the song was leaked online.
Del Rey wrote the song and posted a video of herself on Instagram singing a snippet of it on April 17, 2017. She recorded the video as she was leaving the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in California, and she captioned the video saying:
"I'm not gonna lie- I had complex feelings about spending the weekend dancing whilst watching tensions w North Korea mount. I find It's a tightrope between being vigilantly observant of everything going on in the world and also having enough space and time to appreciate God's good earth the way it was intended to be appreciated. On my way home I found myself compelled to visit an old favorite place of mine at the rim of the world highway where I took a moment to sit down by the sequoia grove and write a little song. I just wanted to share this in hopes that one individual's hope and prayer for peace might contribute to the possibility of it in the long run. Hope everyone has a nice day, with love from California".After the song was officially released worldwide, Del Rey posted a note on social media about the song that said: "What a blessing it is to make music in general. And to have the freedom to put songs out about things that move me in real time. I wrote one this last month on my way back from Coachella. Thank you to my producer and engineers for fixing it up so quickly. Hope you like it".
Critical reception and compositionEdit
"Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind" has been described by The Guardian as a "sedated trap track" that is sweetly innocent. Alex Hudson of Exclaim! described the track as "a sultry ballad that puts an electronic spin on Lana's classic torch-song style". The song's chorus is a "lyrical hat-tip" to "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.
- Woodstock is mentioned in "Ultraviolence".
- Del Rey's long hair is also mentioned in "Ridin'", "Dangerous Girl", "Put the Radio On" and "Lolita".
- Heaven is mentioned in songs like "Television Heaven" and "Match Made in Heaven", among others.
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting, production
- Rick Nowels — songwriting, production, celesta, mellotron, synthesizer programmer
- Dean Reid — engineering, mixing, drums, bass guitar, flute, synthesizer programmer
- Kieron Menzies — engineering, mixing, production, drums, keyboard, magnetic tape realization, percussion
- Chris Garcia — engineering
- Trevor Yasuda — engineering, keyboard
- Adam Ayan — mastering engineer
|Chart (2017)|| Peak|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||84|
|Russian Top Radio Hits (Tophit)||280|
|US Rock Digital Song Sales (Billboard)||14|
- Buy/stream "Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind"
- ↑ Ackroyd, Stephen (May 14, 2017). "We might be getting another new Lana Del Rey track, 'Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind', tomorrow". Dork.
- ↑ "Instagram post by Lana Del Rey • Apr 17, 2017 at 11:35pm UTC". Instagram.
- ↑ "Lana Del Rey on Twitter: "New song: Coachella- Woodstock in my mind"" (May 14, 2017). Twitter.
- ↑ Gibsone, Harriet (July 21, 2017). "Lana Del Rey: Lust for Life review – in a luxurious league of her own". The Guardian.
- ↑ Hudson, Alex (May 15, 2017). "Listen to Lana Del Rey's New Song "Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind"". Exclaim!.
- ↑ "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés – SNEP (Week 20, 2017)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- ↑ "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100" (Archive Chart: 2017-05-19). Official Charts Company.
- ↑ https://www.tophit.ru/en/tracks/81617/view
- ↑ "Lana Del Rey – Chart history" Billboard Rock Digital Song Sales for Lana Del Rey.