|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
"Black Beauty" is a song by Lana Del Rey from her second major-label album Ultraviolence. It was written with Rick Nowels and produced by Paul Epworth while Nowels produced the vocals. A separate registration exists listing her ex-boyfriend Barrie James O'Neill as a co-creator, however his contributions are unknown. The demo was finished sometime in June 2013 and leaked on July 20, 2013. It serves as the first bonus track from the album.
Background and writingEdit
Del Rey stated that the song was for her second major label album, which would be more spiritual, but after it leaked the status of the song on the album became unknown. The song is about Del Rey loving a man who doesn't appreciate the beauty of life, and lamenting the sadness of this. This theme connects the song to others such as "Next to Me" and "Peace". It was confirmed on May 8, 2014 that it would feature as a bonus track on Ultraviolence. A radio mix version of the song with a length of 4 minutes and 5 seconds is registered on PPL Repertoire, but remains unreleased.
"Black Beauty" is a pop ballad with a running time of 5 minutes and 14 seconds. It is in 4/4, written in the key of F major and has a BPM of approximately 120. The original demo of the track featured Del Rey singing over a synthesized organ, bass and strings with minimalistic drum beats and guitar usage. The album version's opening is largely the same as the demo, using the same vocal take and instruments. It starts to differ with the inclusion of a choir and electric guitar, with the chorus having more intense, rock influenced, drums and bass as well as a choir. The rest of the song continues to use heavier drums and electric guitar.
- The chorus contains a direct reference to "Life Is Beautiful", also found in "Without You".
- Black leather is referenced in "I Don't Wanna Go".
- Black skies are mentioned in "Damn You".
Official versions Edit
- Album version – 5:14
- Demo version – 5:19 (produced by Rick Nowels)
- Instrumental version – 5:11
- Radio mix – 4:05
Black Beauty (The Remix EP) was released on November 21, 2014 through Universal Music Deutschland's main site, and the extended play consists of three remixes. The EP was released under the Vertigo/Capital label. On December 15, 2014 the EP was released on iTunes Germany .
- Black Beauty (The Remix EP)
Released: December 15, 2014
|1.||"Black Beauty" (LEEX Tropical Remix)||5:57|
|2.||"Black Beauty" (Dinnerdate Remix)||3:08|
|3.||"Black Beauty" (Lakechild Remix)||3:59|
Black Beauty (Remix EP) CD by Vertigo and Universal Music in UK, US & GermanyEdit
- Lana Del Rey – vocals, songwriting
- Rick Nowels – songwriting, vocal production, piano
- Paul Epworth – production
- Matt Wiggins – engineering
- Kieron Menzies – vocal engineering
- Robert Orton – mixing
- Ed Harcourt – piano
- Pablo Tato – piano
- Tom Herbert – guitar
- Leo Taylor – drums
- Nikolaj Torp Larsen – Philicorda, mellotron
- John Davis – mastering
|Chart (2014)|| Peak|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||179|
Release history Edit
|Austria||December 15, 2014||Digital download (The Remix EP)||Vertigo Berlin|
- ↑ Lana Del Rey veröffentlicht die Remix EP "Black Beauty" (Press release) [Accessed: November 27, 2014]
- ↑ Black Beauty: The Remix EP
- ↑ ISRC: GBUM71404671
- ↑ http://www.muumuse.com/2014/06/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-black-blue-beauty-album-review.html/
- ↑ Black Beauty (The Remix EP)
- ↑ http://www.zobbel.de/cluk/140628cluk.txt