"Architecture" (also known as "Best American Record" and referred to as "The Next Best American Record") is an unreleased song by Lana Del Rey. It was written and recorded around 2015 and 2016, and any co-writers or producers of the song are unknown. On February 27, 2017, a demo of the song leaked. It is an outtake from Lust for Life, and did not make the final tracklist for unknown reasons.
The demo leaked under "Best American Record" but the title "Architecture" was confirmed by copyright infringement claims that certain fans received after uploading the song to platforms such as YouTube and SoundCloud.
In an interview with Beats 1 Radio on July 12, 2017, Del Rey was asked about the song, under the title "Architecture", and she described it as the "yin to the yang" to "Yosemite", another outtake from Lust for Life. She said it was like the "brother and sister" track, comparing it to "Groupie Love" and "Summer Bummer".
On July 26, 2017 at her Amoeba Hollywood show, Del Rey responded to a fan question asking if she would ever release any of her leaked or unreleased songs. She referred to "Architecture" as "The Next Best American Record" and expressed her desire to potentially release the song along with "Yosemite" as folk singles because they would not "start the new record". She went on to add that she has thought about releasing a record of her 25 favorite "leaked songs", but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea.
After the music video for "White Mustang" on September 13, 2017, many fans came to the conclusion that the footage from the video was originally intended for the "Architecture" music video. This theory is supported by the fact that many of the visuals and themes used in the "White Mustang" music video are very strongly connected to the lyrics of "Architecture". Del Rey even posted a video that was taken behind the scenes of "White Mustang" where she is singing "Architecture", which further supports the theory.
- Del Rey mentions Bill who is a prominent figure in her past works such as "Trash Magic", "Driving in Cars with Boys" and "Super Movie".
- Fame is a prominent theme in "Noir".
- Del Rey uses the lyric "You know what I'm talking about" in "Because of You".
- Cigarettes are mentioned in "You Can Be the Boss".
- Del Rey similarly calls her lover "cool" in "Brooklyn Baby", "Lust for Life", "Ridin'", "Push Me Down", and alludes to it in "National Anthem".
- Many of the visuals and themes used in the "White Mustang" music video are strongly connected to the lyrics of the song.