"13 Beaches" is a song by Lana Del Rey. It was co-written with Rick Nowels and co-produced with Nowels, Kieron Menzies and Dean Reid with additional production by Mighty Mike. It is featured on her fifth studio album and fourth major-label studio album, Lust for Life.
Background and writing Edit
During an interview with Paris Match magazine, Del Rey revealed that she wrote the song during the summer of 2016 about her experience visiting 13 different beaches in an attempt to escape paparazzi and read a book alone.
On July 13, after the album sampler surfaced, an instrumental stem snippet leaked. The leaker confirmed that the instrumental belonged to a different song that did not make the final cut, but it was used for this song instead. On July 19, it was revealed that the original song was called "Something Real" and the instrumental from beginning and many lyrics were kept the same.
The song opens with an audio clip of actress Candace Hilligoss talking, taken from the 1962 horror film, Carnival of Souls, over an orchestral instrumental and simple piano chord. The song transitions into a cinematic ballad with approximately 144 beats per minute.
- The opening vocals is an audio snippet referenced from the 1962 motion picture Carnival of Souls.
- Del Rey visiting the beach and needing privacy from paparazzi is also a significant theme in "High By the Beach".
- Peaches are referenced in "Cherry", "Put the Radio On", "Girl That Got Away", and the demo version of "Trash Magic".
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting, production
- Rick Nowels — songwriting, production, piano, strings, synth pad
- Kieron Menzies — production, engineering, mixing, drums, percussion, bass, keyboards, synthesizer, modem
- Dean Reid — production, engineering, mixing
- Mighty Mike — additional production, drums, percussion, keyboards
- Trevor Yasuda & Jordan Stilwell — engineering
- Adam Ayan — mastering
- Patrick Warren — harmonium, synthesizer, waterphone
- Dan Heath — orchestral overture
- Zac Rae — synthesizer
- Published by R-Rated Music administered by EMI April Music Inc. (Global Music Rights) / Sony / ATV Music Publishing
- Audio snippet taken from film Carnival of Souls courtesy of Peter Soby and Matthew Irvine
- Recorded at The Green Building, Los Angeles and Hampstead Studios, London
- Mastered at Gateway Mastering, Portland, Maine
|Chart (2017)|| Peak|
|Czech Republic Digital Singles (ČNS IFPI)||94|
|Slovakia Digital Singles (ČNS IFPI)||81|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||27|
- ↑ https://www.directlyrics.com/lana-del-reys-lust-for-life-album-out-july-21-new-song-13-beaches-confirmed-news.html
- ↑ "CZ - Singles Digital - Top 100". ČNS IFPI. (Archive to 201730)
- ↑ http://www.snepmusique.com/tops-semaine/top-singles-telecharges/?ye=2017&we=30
- ↑ "SK - Singles Digital - Top 100". ČNS IFPI. (Archive to 201730)
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/306420/Lana%20Del%20Rey/chart?f=902